Some takeaways from my weekend at Fan Expo Canada:
1. When packing, do not waste time worrying about your shoes. No one will be looking at your shoes. They are looking at Groot, boobs, and bare butts. And Tank Girl!
2. I now understand why Hooters waitresses wear panty hose. It is your friend. See: bare butts.
3. People fucking LOVE Orlando Jones.
4. For a good reason. After I wrote that sentence, I kid you not, I ran into him on my plane and had a very pleasant chat. Now I fucking love Orlando Jones.
5. I think I saw seven Poison Ivys.
6. We need more female villains and superheroes. See #4
7. There are a lot of awesome parents willing to brave 100,000 + crowd to bring their children to meet Stormtroopers and My Little Pony and Adventure Time cast and writers.
8. There are some parents who might need their license revoked. I'm looking at you, mom of six year old Jason Voorhees.
9. DC Comics' Wonder Woman is in very confident, thoughtful hands with the husband and wife artist-writer team David and Meredith Finch. I loved her idea that WW has evolved to be "what we need when we need her," from her kinky origins to WWII hero to 70s feminist icon to a present day, conflicted, courageous heroine. Who sometimes has the "courage to cry."
10. Not being able to draw has always been my excuse as to why I've never fully committed to writing/publishing a graphic novel. Award winning self-taught artist Ray Fawkes cratered that excuse.
11. Screening your film at a comic-con is a wonderful and terrible way to show your film. You are completely at the mercy of who decides to walk into your screening and stick around to vote. This is exceptionally trying if you are the last film in the block. But. I got to go toToronto. I saw Sharknado Girl. There will always be that.